Sunday, January 13, 2008

Free! Books! Now!

For as long as I can remember, I have loved to read.  I have vivid memories of sitting on the swingset in Arizona with a copy of Ramona Quimby, Age Eight, chewing on a piece of my hair and absolutely loving good ole Ramona and the incident with the blueing.  I also remember sitting up late at night in my wicker daybed with all sorts of literary friends.  We were also huge Scholastic Book Club buyers.  Reading was my great delight as a kid.

And then this thing called required reading came along.  And somewhere around the time I was forced to read The Good Earth (which I didn't like then, but would probably love now) my love for reading dropped off significantly.  It suddenly became this big haftado instead of something I got to do.  And then college came along, and it was more of the same.  And once I started teaching?  Forget about it.  I was too tired to read for pleasure at the end of the day.

But since Phoebe has arrived, I've had this great desire to read again.  I was a bit depressed at first, because books cost so much money.  And then I discovered the public library.  And how do I love the public library, let me count the ways.  I plowed my way through all kinds of great novels this summer, discovered a new genre or two, and renewed this great big infatuation with books again.  

The only problem with the library is that you don't get to keep the books.  

But then I discovered Paperback Swap.  Oh friends.  I am so stinkin excited.  It is free, first of all.  It works like this:
  • you list ten books that you would be willing to swap with someone else
  • you get two credits for books you can "order" off of the site (mailed to you by another member)
  • when you mail your books out, you get one credit per book -- and one credit equals one book that you can choose
I mean, what could be better?  You simply pay for shipping of the books that you send out.  That's it!  You also get credits for referring people, which I am doing now.  Simply click this link:



And sign up!  Once you list your ten books, you can get started in the fun.  This is also a great way to clean out the shelves of some old college books that you've been hanging on to, or anything else that you think you might not want to read again.  Please say sarahrosie referred you!

And now I should go read!

No comments: