I can't thank all of you enough for your prayers and encouragement these past few days. The last week has been really strange and, at times, overwhelming. What an outpouring of love you all have shown towards us!
As Carolynn said in her emails today, we did end up having to go to the OR for a procedure this morning. This was a repeat of a procedure he had earlier in the visit, but to a greater extent. We are thankful that he was able to do this under anesthesia, as the previous procedure was extremely painful. Michael did well with the anesthesia, and the doctor said that he felt confident that this would help push Michael's recovery further.
If Michael can stay fever free for the next 24 hours, we will be discharged sometime on Wednesday morning. Any fever over 100 degrees will delay the discharge further. As badly as Michael wants to go home, we're happy to stay as long as we need to in order to make sure the infection is under control.
We so appreciate all of the offers for meals, childcare, visits, etc. Right now, I think we are covered, but I will be sure to let you know if we can think of any specific needs. My mom is at the house with Phoebe and Jake. One way you can encourage Michael specifically would be with scripture; it is one thing that has really brought him significant comfort in pain and in uncertainty.
For a couple of reasons, we'd like to limit visitors here at the hospital. We initially thought that Michael had a different form of staph; however, cultures confirmed today that he has MRSA, which is a more easily spread and antibiotic resistant strain of staph. Also, Michael is very exhausted from all of the procedures over the past few days and really needs to get some rest while he can. (He also says he wouldn't want to ruin anybody's appetite... but honestly, he looks a lot better than he did!)
We love you guys so much, and are so thankful for you all. I'll continue to keep you posted as things change. You can pray specifically for:
- Temperature to remain below 100 degrees for the next 24 hours
- Continued improvement in his white counts, swelling, and redness.
- Minimal/decreased pain in Michael's face
- Protection for me from the MRSA (I have already give my OB the heads up; I will go to them if I see anything that might be symptomatic of MRSA. I cannot take preventative antibiotics.)
- Patience as we wait through the next few days