Monday, October 1, 2007

Secrets

I've just peeked in on Phoebs, and realized that I have a secret. After six and a half months, I've figured out how to check on her without actually entering the room. See, her new favorite lovie to sleep with is this giant lamb blanket thing. (Precise, I know.) Anyway, it usually ends up over her bottom when she conks out... and I can see Little Lamb from the doorway. If it's still, she's asleep. If it's moving... well... get her next meal ready. This is nothing short of miraculous. I praise the Lord every day that she takes at least one real nap a day. [Note: I have no complaints! She is a beautiful nighttime sleeper -- even when she wakes us up singing in the middle of the night -- and so having great naps during the day are just a true bonus. But we're all happier when she does nap well.]

Another secret: the other night, I kind of flaked on my planned meal for Saturday. As in, I was vile, and chose to slam pots around rather than lovingly roll out pizza dough with my husband. But I had a total go-to dinner sitting in my fridge, and I was thankful for it. I thought some of my friends would be thankful for a 5 ingredient supper, too!

What to make when you have nothing in the fridge: Chicken Parmesean
Serves 2 (but you can easily make this for 4, 6, 8, whatever)
  • 1 large chicken breast, butterflied
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 T Italian seasoning
  • 1 small can of tomato sauce (or, you can use a cup of prepared spaghetti sauce like Ragu)
  • 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
  • 1/4 cup grated parmesean cheese
Heat a small amount of oil in a large nonstick skillet. Season chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Saute in skillet for 5-7 minutes, or until one side is golden brown. Turn over, and allow to cook for 3-4 more minutes. Cover chicken with entire can of sauce (this will leave lots of runover) and reduce heat to LOW. Allow to simmer for 3-4 minutes. Top chicken breasts with cheeses, and place entire pan in a 450 degree oven. Allow to bake for 5 minutes, or until chicken is done and cheese is nice and bubbly. In my house, the leftover sauce in the bottom of the pan (which ends up seasoned and cheesy) goes on top of angel hair pasta. Serve with a steamed veggie, and you've got good eats. [Ladies, I would recommend that you sweetly ask your husband to clean the pan, though.]

As I was thinking about this recipe, I thought it would make a really yummy mexican version too: use Rotel tomatoes, mexican 4 cheese blend, and taco seasoning for the chicken. With a guacamole salad or black beans, you'd also be set.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are truly amazing, my child, and continually teach me good things...i love you so...mama