Thursday, April 23, 2009

Holy Moments

Ever since Phoebe gifted her nay-nay to her brown bear a few weeks ago, she's had a hard time falling asleep at night. Naps worked their way back to normal (can I get a hallelujah here?) within a week or so, but it is still consistently taking her about half an hour to settle down at night. Unfortunately, that "settling down" time has included some disobedient behavior that requires...ahem...correction.

Y'all, that's fun for nobody.

A few nights ago, Michael and I were brainstorming ways we could help her settle down without having her kick the wall or send Lamby on a kamikaze mission across the room. We finally decided that after we read the story bible and prayed as a family, we would turn off the lights and I would stick around to snuggle and sing for a few more minutes. (I know, it's a tough job... but somebody's got to do it, right?)

After snuggling in next to my sweet little wiggleworm, I started to sing one of the old standby's: Holy, Holy, Holy. I've been singing it to her for, well, forever, because it's one of the only hymns to which I know all four verses. Imagine my surprise when she joined in! The first night it was just every few words... but last night, she sang just about every word with me! She even sang the word "trinity" before I could get to it myself. I cannot even describe how precious this was.

For me as a mommy, this was such a beautiful reminder to me that what I do with these little girls every day is important. It also reminded me that it is never too early to talk about Truth or to share Christ's love with them. And while the words of Holy, Holy, Holy aren't necessarily words that Phoebe understands now, her knowing them lays the foundation for understanding in the future.

Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.
Deuteronomy 6:4-9

For me, those moments with her before bed were holy moments - sweet reminders from the Lord that he is already at work in the hearts of our little girls. What a gift!

No comments: