Friday, March 6, 2009

In Need of Spring

I know anyone north of the Mason-Dixon line will groan upon reading this, but it has been a long winter for us. I don't know that it's had much to do with the weather, but I have been so in need of something fresh. A clean breeze, shorter sleeves, and a long walk seems like just what I need to break out of my funk. Right?


Well, it doesn't hurt. Snack outside seemed like the perfect thing to do, and it seemed to lift all of our spirits -- including little Nora. Phoebe twirled freely, Nora kicked excitedly, and I happily watched from a spot on a blanket for nearly an hour. I love a lazy spring afternoon -- although I hesitate to call it spring, since we just had snow less than a week ago. There's really something wonderful about being outside, and it really is a natural mood lifter.


Except, it dawned on me that I shouldn't need spring to bust me out of a funk. Spring is all about fresh starts and new life, right? Well, I need to remember that I can receive new mercies every single morning. It doesn't matter if there was snow on the ground of my heart last week, or even last night! The Lord can do a work of springtime in my heart today.

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases;
his mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.

Lamentations 3:22-23


But truly, I am thankful for these bright, spring-like days that we're having. He is always faithful to bring the spring after a long winter, even if it is a winter of the heart.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Your springtime looks so wonderful. Can't wait to visit that warm Alabama air next week.

and ps: I'm totally keeping up with and loving your blog daily on Google Reader...I just haven't had any time to comment lately!