Monday, November 26, 2007

Tiny Hands and Feet

I alluded to the fact that we've had a few illnesses going through the house here lately... and judging from other Mommy friends that I've got, we're not the only ones! Well, part of the fun of being a mommy is that you learn about all of these childhood illnesses that you either didn't get as a child or don't remember having.

When we were in New Hampshire, my cousin Danielle told me all about Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease (which I thought was a bovine disease, but it's not... that's Hoof and Mouth). One of their little friends had just gotten it, and I'd never heard of it. Then, we go to nursery on Tuesday and find out that Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease has been in the crawler room...so I now know that this isn't some crazy northern disease that Danielle has made up.

And then these weird looking little ant bites show up on Phoebe's feet and ankles. After yelling at Michael for taking her to the grass and not warding off the little bugs, I realized the next day that they not only did not go away, but they got worse. And wait... is that one on her hand? Oh yes friends. On Thanksgiving, we were just thankful that her Hand, Foot, and Mouth disease was not any worse.

Other than looking yucky and all-but-eliminating her already small appetite, Phoebe seems to be doing fine. I think she'd much rather have the hand mess than this yucky nose/chest/throat cold she's got. I mean, she doesn't mind when I touch her feet, but get that bulb aspirator anywhere near her and she starts to cry.

And the best part of all this? Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease is highly contagious, spread through direct contact with mucus (have I mentioned that we drool and drip constantly?) and feces (we do indeed change diapers at this house). Holiday fun for everyone! I'm starting to get a little paranoid...

In other news, the Christmas tree is up and decorated, the stockings are hung, and I am totally loving this rain.

1 comment:

j&bH said...

i miss you!!!!
now that we've gotten that out of the way...poor little bean! give her a carefully placed kiss from her aunt fave. i know you are getting paranoid, i would be, too & have been in cases of reported staph infection & head lice at school (turned out the lice was a false rumor but that didn't keep me from itching for a week!)...it will pass and you'll be fine. :)

wish i could share the rainy day with christmas in the house with you! come visit, fo real!

love, love, LOVE you
mare (fave)