Thursday, November 8, 2007

Forlorn

Oh sleep, how do I miss thee? Let me count the ways...

Okay, I'm not going to count. But seriously. I have an eight month old. NOT an eight week old. She started sleeping through the night at 11 weeks! That means that for at least five months now, I've been used to lovely, blissful, uninterrupted sleep for most nights of the week. Why then, does she insist on waking every night at least once or twice now? WHY?

Last night, Phoebs, angel of my little heart, woke at 3:30. After delivering her paci (because let's face it, I'd rather be up for 2 minutes than 22), I returned to my own crib. Except she kept making noise. With the paci in her mouth. I dozed off and on until four, not really getting to sleep. At four, I went in to make sure she had the paci (she did). I then removed said paci and inserted three Hyland's Teething Tablets, which I'm pretty sure are just sugar pills but hey... it's placebo enough for me. I then reinserted the paci and returned to my room, trying to sleep unsuccessfully until 4:30. I considered going ahead and getting up, since by then I was wide awake.

That might've been a good idea, because at 6:10 when my alarm went off, I felt like I'd been hit by a mack truck. And I guess Phoebe felt like waking up then, too, because in spite of the darkening blanket to maybe get her to sleep longer, she was awake and ready to play. Friends, the author of the time change obviously had no children. We're almost a week into it, and we're still totally on "old time". If anyone has any good ideas, let me know. I'm ready to pull out my hair and go on a mommy strike.

And although I've cried wolf about teeth about six times already this year, I think it really is time. Which makes all of this even worse. And makes her morning nap shorter, which means I'd better get some more coffee and clean my bathroom PDQ.

Thank you, Mom, for bringing sanity to my life and order to my home this week. I love you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am blessed by blessing you, my dearest daughter...I so love you and yours. And as Granny always told me, I tell you..."This, too, shall pass." as you know full well...all too quickly. :-)