Thursday, December 27, 2007

Not a Creature Was Stirring

...not even a Phoebe Kate!

I should probably devote an entire blog to the sleeping adventures of Phoebe Kate. This is probably punishment for all my pride about her being such a good sleeper and me being such a good sleep trainer. Because for two months, my friends, sleep has been an adventure for our tiny little lovebug. Whether it's insane nighttime sleep, difficulty going down (nobody told me she would wail, "dadadadadadadada!" when she didn't want to sleep!), or shortened naps... let's just say that I don't remember what it's like to go a whole twenty-four hours without a sleep hiccup.

I'm having to adjust my expectations a wee bit.

Poor Phoebe is the meter stick for all future children, so we're doing a whole lot of learning on her. I don't think she's any worse for the wear, but it sure does add to the sanctification process of her mommy and daddy.

So yes. It's 7:50. I'm thankful that she's still sleeping, even if it means I had to refrigerate her bottle.

Anyway, this was supposed to be a Christmas post. Christmas was wonderful, and it was absolutely delightful to spend it with oodles of family on both sides, and also with just our sweet little family on the day after Christmas. As expected, Phoebe was most interested in ribbons and paper, but we were blessed to watch her delight in her "shiny things". In the midst of all the shiny, though, it's our prayer that even at her tiny little age, she wasn't distracted from the Babe in the manger.

Phoebe gave us some early Christmas presents this year... talking! On Wednesday, Phoebe was taking her bath (I'll leave it to Michael to really blog this with video and all) and Michael had the video on. I think he knew something big would happen. Anyway, after being prompted to say "Dada"... she did! Loud, clear, and indisputable. And yes, she babbles away with "dadadadadada" but this is different... it's specific, and it's when her "Dada" is around! And then, to add insult to injury, I'm out getting my haircut Thursday when Michael, Phoebe, and Jaker are all playing together. While Phoebe is playing with Jake (her favorite), she says, "AKE!". It's the cutest thing, really. But seriously. Dada, then JAKE? Where's Mama? I've been working on it tirelessly, but not a glimmer. I see where I stand. :)

No matter what she's said, it delights us all the same. And although there are no creatures stirring right now, I'd better go drag all three of them out of bed!

No comments: