Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Summering

Once upon a time, a certain mommy somehow neglected to put a waterproof mattress pad on her potty-training-daughter's bed, so after a particularly wet naptime, the mattress need some, ahem, airing out.  Sometime after suppertime, my super husband dragged the mattress back inside and I attached the pad and sheet while the mattress was laying in the kitchen.

And then Ruthie discovered the fun that is mattress-on-the-floor.  Of course, her sisters joined her pretty quickly, and we had a full-on jumping-on-the-bed party at 7:30pm.  No little monkeys bonked their heads in this party, and no mamas had to call the doctor.  But the giggles were good medicine for a tired Mama who'd had a really long day with a teething baby and a non-existent naptime.  And way fun for the kiddos.

We've also had an unbelievable amount of fun outside so far this summer.  I think that, prior to this year, I was a total sissy about the heat.  And really fearful about my kids getting too hot.  But I decided we were all going to put on our big girl britches and play outside... and it has been wonderful.

We've been hitting the pavement in my triple jogger every day around nine, so we all come home sweaty, stinky, and ready to hose ourselves off.  Saturday, Michael surprised us by taking a break from his yard work and tracking us down in the truck to shoot us with a super soaker.  It rocked my world.  It's a total jackpot when we find a neighbor who happens to be watering the sidewalk as well as their lawn... the kids flip out when we run through the sprinkler while strapped into their seats.  We look like a traveling circus.  If I had a dollar for every time a neighbor asked me if I really had three in there...

I honestly thought they would be major whiners and complainers about the heat, but once the temperature hit ninety I laid down the law that there would be absolutely no complaining about the heat.  None.  And y'all, they haven't complained.  It's been a good check for me as well; if I won't let them grumble about the mercury, I can't do it either.  It's my little three-child accountability group.
We've been staying cool with frozen treats (the favorite is banana pops, although they are unbelievably messy in the hands of Ruthie), tons of ice water, and the sprinkler.

 
The other day, I let the girls take over control of the hose after I finished watering... to say they loved it is an understatement.  I'm always amazed at what their precious, creative little minds come up with!  Phoebe engineered some sort of water spout involving the playhouse and pretended to be Rapunzel, and Nora filled a bucket and turned herself into Cinderella.  Ruthie ended up free of her clothes.  Oh, these are sweet days!

I am humbled to know that the Lord chose me to do this.  He is gracious and merciful, and abounding in love!

3 comments:

Bianchi said...

You and yours have inspired Fave to quit her whining...I'm not saying it will be easy, but I'm going to try. :)

Glad to know your days are filled with lovely moments and popsicles.

P.S. LOVE YOU!!

Tara said...

this is great. i love how you are summering. we spent the whole day outside today too, and we were gross by the end of the day, but it was well worth it.

whippetmom said...

:) love this post and the sweet words and pictures with it. Sarah you have no idea how inspiring you are to me! Keep it up,mama!