Monday, December 27, 2010

The Day After Christmas

 
Yesterday, while raising the blinds in the girls’ room so that they could see the snow fall as they awoke, we saw our across-the-street neighbor taking down all of his Christmas decorations.  Sunday morning, the day after Christmas, before 9am, in the snow.  The sight was really quite ridiculous.  The snow was falling pretty rapidly (a rare treat around here!), and he was pulling up candycanes, stripping garland, and dusting the snow off everything so that his yard could be cleaned of Christmas before we left for church.

We truly had a delightful Christmas -- perhaps my favorite Christmas in memory.  But I’m having to fight the temptation to not just check “Christmas” off the list, moving on to strip the house of decorations, organize new gifts, and scrub the house clean to prepare for a magical fresh start on January 1.  

But this year, I don’t think I’m ready to be rid of Christmas.  I’m still pondering, still meditating, and frankly, still enjoying the Christmas lights on the back porch and our sweet Christmas tree (even if it’s only half lit).  I still want to sing the beautiful hymns of Christmas. I want to appreciate the new that we’ve been given, not rush to organize it away in a closet or storage container. I’m not ready to be rid of the extra light in our living room, even if it means that I’ll be free of artificial pine needles.  As I reminded Michael, it’s really still Christmas until Epiphany -- and I intend to celebrate as such.


 
When we take down the decorations, it will be that light that I miss the most.  The house will seem bare (if clean), and our rooms will feel dark.  It seems that every year I'm yearning to add new lamps to our rooms, to find some way to replace those beautiful twinkle lights. Oh, how I need the Light... 

"In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.  The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it."  John 1:4-5

4 comments:

Family Snodgrass said...

Yes, Christmas just STARTED on Saturday. Yay! Our tree never comes down before Epiphany.

Laura Gail said...

that is a great picture of yall!

Anonymous said...

I agree with you! We took the decorations down tonight on a whim and now I am kinda sorry! I miss it already. Because of illness and what not, we did not take the time we usually do to sit and just enjoy the tree and the lights. I must be more mindful next year!

big hugs

Karen

woodsermom said...

Every year for the past 10 years Kellie Ladner and I have had a race to see who could strip our stuff down the quickest. Wake early the 26th and rip it all down. Well, not this year! Here it is January 2nd and I am sitting by the fire, gazing at the twinkling lights on my tree, just lovely. Something about being here, in Bavaria, has changed my attitude with Christmas decorations. Here they do not put their tree up until Christmas Eve and then keep it up through Epiphany. I don't know, wouldn't it be pretty with red hearts all over it for Valentines?! By the way, your pictures of the girls are just adorable - you have a beautiful family. God Bless! Terri