Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Gone Camping

I'm spending my week this week as a "camp counselor" for Son Rock Kids Camp at our church this week. Although Michael and I usually work with the kindergarten girls each week, I decided to change things up a bit and work with third grade girls. What a fun switch! My attitude about VBS was less than stellar up until about 9:30 yesterday morning; however, I'm so thankful that I decided to work this year. However, my brain is totally shot.

Also, when the calendar turned to June, the heat wave officially struck. It is hot, y'all. And the thought of cooking (and adding heat into this house) makes me want to go jump in somebody's backyard pool. So in honor of summer and crazy weeks, I'm sharing with you my new favorite slow cooker recipe. It's easy, it's cheap, and it's delicious.

Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice, serves 4
(adapted from Cooking Light)
You need:
  • 3 cups of water
  • 1 cup dried red beans
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup chopped bell pepper
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 5 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 teaspoons of cajun seasoning
  • 1/2 package of turkey smoked sausage, thinly sliced (you could use andouille here, I'm sure it would taste better, but this sausage is still great!)
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 3 cups of cooked rice
  • sour cream
  • chopped green onions

Mix first 9 ingredients together in your slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours. Before serving, stir in remaining seasonings. (Adjust heat to your taste.) Serve over hot cooked rice (we used brown rice) and top with sour cream and green onions. You could also mix everything together, including the rice...but we figured it would be hard enough to get Phoebe to eat this as it was. But actually, Phoebe (who generally doesn't like beans), ate this obediently and joyfully. Michael and I both thought it was delicious!

Also, since I'm pretty much exhausted in the afternoons, we've scrapped our afternoon walk for running around in the backyard. Popsicles and baby pools, anyone?



Happy summer, y'all!

1 comment:

Carolynn said...

We're totally up for popsicles and pools! Callahan has been asking for Phoebe almost daily! Maybe all 7 of us could get together some time this weekend. What do you think. I hope you're having a blast at VBS! Miss you!